After working in his corporate career for 20 years, Joe from Michigan asks, “How do you negotiate a severance when you resign?”
He's looking to leave his corporate career after two decades of solid work and experience his financial independence. Joe wants to do it right and leave with a severance package that helps him roll into his early retirement comfortably.
Sam Dogen from Financial Samurai joins me to help Joe engineer his layoff and make this process successful.
What are we covering?
Sam and I review the following:
- Why your employer would even want to give you a severance package
- How to start the conversation with your employer about your severance
- What life looks like after you leave your career for early retirement and financial independence
It was a pleasure to learn from Sam Dogen once again. If you want to hear the other episodes he's been on, check them out here: How This Stay-at-Home Dad Makes $200,000 Per Year in Passive Income and Coast FIRE: What it is and How it Affects Retirement Planning
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON:
Guest Bio – Sam Dogen (Financial Samurai)
Sam Dogen worked in investment banking for 13 years before starting Financial Samurai, a personal finance website. He received a B.A. in Economics from The College of William & Mary his MBA from the University of California in Berkeley.
He hopes to live a simple life near a beach in Hawaii with his family. Sam has been highlighted in major publications such as Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The Sydney Herald, The Chicago Tribune and The L.A.Times.
Sam Dogen (Financial Samurai) Resources
Other Podcasts, Videos and Articles You Might Like
- How This Stay-at-Home Dad Makes $200,000 Per Year in Passive Income – with Sam Dogen
- Coast FIRE: What it is and How it Affects Retirement Planning
- How to Achieve Financial Independence with Index Funds – with JL Collins
Sponsor and Recommended Tools
UNest: Help your child invest for the future with low cost index funds and a convenient mobile app!
MKM PODCAST RESOURCES
- Thriving Families Facebook Group: Join our new FREE Facebook Community!
- One-on-One Coaching: Schedule your FREE 15-minute discovery call with Andy to help you on your Young Family Wealth journey!
- Corporate Financial Wellness Presentation: Contact me to discuss how I can support your company's overall financial wellness.
CARPE DIEM QUOTE
“Begin with the end in mind.”― Steven Covey
Are you working on how to negotiate a severance when you resign? What is your plan for leaving your career?
Please let us know in the comments below.