There are few topics in personal finance that are more hotly debated than homeownership. Is it better to rent or buy? Should you pay off your mortgage early or stretch it out for 15 or 30 years? Everyone's perspective on owning a home and investing in real estate is so different. That's why we rounded up our favorite quotes about homeownership.
Top 50 Quotes About Homeownership
There's no place like home! Dorothy certainly taught us that in Wizard of Oz. Whether you take the dive into homeownership to finally have a place to call home or you're looking at the investment side of things, there are plenty of things to think about when it comes to homeownership.
So we rounded up our favorite quotes about homes–everything from using real estate to make a fortune to things no home buyer should do. Enjoy!
What Makes a House a Home Quotes
After wading through the rent vs. buy debate, you finally bought a house. But maybe you're wondering what makes a house a home. These are our favorite quotes about homeownership.
- “Home is the nicest word there is.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
- “Home ownership is the cornerstone of a strong community.” – Rick Renzi
- “We need to intentionally invest in health, in home ownership, in entrepreneurship, in access to democracy, in economic empowerment.” – Pete Buttigieg
- “The American Dream is one of success, home ownership, college education for one's children, and to have a secure job to provide these and other goals.” – Leonard Boswell
- “That is the heart and soul of the American dream, homeownership, the idea of being able to buy a house and start to build your family.” – Wendell Pierce
- “If I were asked to name the chief benefit of the house, I should say: the house shelters daydreaming, the house protects the dreamer, the house allows one to dream in peace.” – Gaston Bachelard
- “Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
- “There have been few things in my life which have had a more genial effect on my mind than the possession of a piece of land.” – Harriet Martineau
- “A house is made of bricks and beams. A home is made of hopes and dreams.” – Unknown
- “Home is a shelter from storms-all sorts of storms.” – William J. Bennett
Quotes About Homeownership As An Investment
There's something hugely rewarding about owning your own home. We first experienced it when we took out our mortgage. Then, we felt that thrill again when we paid off our house. But homeownership isn't just about the emotional and psychological side of things. Many people look at homeownership and real estate as an investment, and they have a thing or two to say about it!
- “I will forever believe that buying a home is a great investment. Why? Because you can’t live in a stock certificate. You can’t live in a mutual fund.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Real estate cannot be lost or stolen, nor can it be carried away. Purchased with common sense, paid for in full, and managed with reasonable care, it is about the safest investment in the world.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Owning a home is a keystone of wealth…both financial affluence and emotional security.” – Suze Orman
- “The major fortunes in America have been made in land.” – John D. Rockefeller
- “Now, one thing I tell everyone is learn about real estate. Repeat after me: real estate provides the highest returns, the greatest values and the least risk. ” – Armstrong Williams
- “Buy real estate in areas where the path exists and buy more real estate where there is no path, but you can create your own.” – David Waronker
- “I made a tremendous amount of money on real estate. I’ll take real estate rather than go to Wall Street and get 2.8 percent. Forget about it.” – Ivanka Trump
- “Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate. More money has been made in real estate than in all industrial investments combined. The wise young man or wage earner of today invests his money in real estate.” – Andrew Carnegie
- “Buying real estate is not only the best way, the quickest way, the safest way, but the only way to become wealthy.” – Marshall Field
- “Perhaps the secret to making a billion dollars in real estate is that there is no secret.”– David Lichtenstein
Words to Remind You Not to Second Guess Yourself
For most people, purchasing a home is the biggest expense they'll ever incur. It's no wonder that it's so easy to get cold feet. If you start to second guess your decision to buy a home, these quotes will remind you to keep going.
- “Don’t wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate and wait.” – Will Rogers
- “Buy land, they’re not making it anymore.” – Mark Twain
- “Start small and work your way up.” – Sam Dogen
- “If you’re committed to it, you’ll find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.”– Adam Contos, RE/MAX CEO
- “Find out where the people are going and buy the land before they get there.” – William Penn Adair
- “The best investment on earth is earth.” – Louis Glickman
- “The house you looked at today and wanted to think about until tomorrow may be the same house someone looked at yesterday and will buy today.” – Koki Adasi
- “There was no big break. There were just years and years of work.” – Paula Del Nunzio
- “The best time to buy a home is always five years ago.” – Ray Brown
- “If you’re not going to put your money into real estate, Where else?” – Tamir Sapir
Quotes About Home Design and Remodeling
There's more to owning a home than numbers on a spreadsheet. In fact, as most homeowners can attest, buying a home is actually just the first step on the homeownership journey. Once you buy a house, you get to spend time making it your own. These quotes from top designers and HGTV stars are sure to give you something to think about transforming a house into your house.
- “If you have unfinished space, finish it. Use it for that extra storage you’re missing. Whatever the ‘it’ is, you’re creating bonus extra square footage.” – Hilary Farr, Love It or List It
- “Design can have such a positive impact on the way people live and on their relationships and moods.” – Genevieve Gorder, Trading Spaces
- “The first step in bringing an idea to life is putting pen to paper.” – Drew Scott, The Property Brothers
- “A few years ago, I realized I was decorating and designing my house around what was beautiful rather than practical for my family. When I made that realization, everything kind of clicked for me. I started being intentional about designing spaces with my kids in mind rather than picture-perfect rooms.” – Joanna Gaines, Fixer Upper
- “Renovating not only restores the house but restores the story of the house and the neighborhood. – Unknown
- “Remodeling is like pulling a loose thread on a cheap sweater – the job keeps unraveling.” – Margo Kaufman
- “As we evolve, our homes should too.” – Unknown
- “If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” – William Morris
- “The best rooms have something to say about the people who live in them.” – David Hicks
- “Real comfort, visual and physical, is vital to every room.” – Mark Hampton
Cautionary Homeownership Quotes
There's a lot to be excited about when it comes to buying a home. But there are also some things to consider–from unexpected expenses you have to budget for to making sure that your house fits your lifestyle. Here are some words of wisdom (or perhaps woe!) from homeownership experts.
- “It's easy to underestimate the real cost of home ownership.” – Suze Orman
- “Buy a home far enough out of the city that the traffic isn’t heavy but close enough to the city that they still deliver pizza.” – Unknown
- “Be aware that some people will sell you a dream and deliver you a nightmare.” – Unknown
- “You can’t have everything you want, but you can have the things that really matter to you.” – Marissa Mayer
- “One saying that needs to have its proverbial status revoked is the well-known real estate adage, ‘Buy the worst house in the best neighborhood.'” – Spencer Raskoff, co-founder of Zillow
- “Watch out for things that are difficult or impossible to fix. If the floor plan won’t work for your family today, it’ll be even worse in five years.” –Dave Ramsey
- “Some people scrape all their money together to make the 20 percent down payment so they don’t have to pay for mortgage insurance, but they are picking the wrong poison because they are left with no savings at all.” – Ed Conarchy
- “The goal is to find you and your brood a place where the culture and values of the [area] match yours. You can always trade up or down for a new home, add a third bathroom or renovate a basement.” – Alison Bernstein
- “Taking on more mortgage than you can afford is like dropping an atomic bomb on your finances.” – Dave Ramsey
- “A budget tells us what we can’t afford, but it doesn’t keep us from buying it.” – William Feather
Final Thoughts on Quotes about Homeownership
Like so many things in personal finance, owning a home is such a personal decision and a unique experience. While we can certainly take advice from others, it's also important to remember that your journey will be unique. No matter what your journey looks like, we hope these quotes about homeownership leave you with something to think about.
What are your favorite quotes about homeownership? What other words of wisdom or cautionary tales would you share?
Please let us know in the comments.