Some people feel that budgets can be restricting or they reinforce a scarcity mindset.
While others get a sense of freedom and control with their budget.
So what's the right answer?
Jesse Mecham, Founder of You Need a Budget (YNAB), joins me to discuss this debate and how people can find their individual path with budgeting.
What are we covering?
Jesse and I review the following:
- Why people don't like budgets
- How the YNAB Rules help you to enjoy budgeting
- Why you should talk to your spouse about life instead of the numbers
Jesse Mecham is a wealth of knowledge and a family man. If you're looking to get on track this year and allow your budget to be a tool for your wealth-building success, check out this interview.
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON:
Guest Bio – Jesse Mecham
Personal finance expert, speaker, and business leader, Jesse Mecham is the Founder and CEO of You Need A Budget (or YNAB if you are very busy and important). Jesse hosts the You Need A Budget podcast, and is the Wall Street Journal best-selling author of, You Need A Budget. (He’s nothing if not consistent!)
A self-proclaimed “recovering CPA,” he is deeply passionate about teaching individuals, families, and business owners YNAB’s Four Rules to help them gain total control of their money. Jesse first developed the YNAB method and original spreadsheet as a broke, newly married college student who really needed a budget.
In an attempt to make an additional $300/month to cover rent, he sold his spreadsheet online and YNAB was born. Since 2004, the software has grown into a leading personal finance platform and has helped hundreds of thousands of people break the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle, get out of debt, and save more money.
Now, YNAB has a growing team living and working all around the world, and has built a thriving remote culture that earned recognition as Fortune’s #4 best small company to work for. (YNAB was doing remote work before it was cool!)
When not teaching people how to budget, Jesse loves gardening, woodworking, marksmanship, and travel. He also spends a good bit of time with his wife and the seven small people that live in their house.
Jesse Mecham Resources
Other Podcasts and Articles You Might Like
- How to Stick to a Budget – with Kumiko Love (The Budget Mom)
- How to Create Your Mint Budget for Free (in 10 Simple Steps)
- 15 Online Budgeting Apps to Make Your Personal Finance Goals Easy
Sponsor and Recommended Tools
UNest: Help your child invest for the future with low cost index funds and a convenient mobile app!
MKM PODCAST RESOURCES
- Thriving Families Facebook Group: Join our new FREE Facebook Community!
- One-on-One Coaching: Schedule your FREE 15-minute discovery call with Andy to help you on your Young Family Wealth journey!
- Corporate Financial Wellness Presentation: Contact me to discuss how I can support your company's overall financial wellness.
CARPE DIEM QUOTE
“To change your life, you need to change your priorities”― Mark Twain
Do you need a budget? Or can you live without one and still rock your financial goals?
Please let us know in the comments below.