As young parents, we can easily lose our identity. If we're not feeding, clothing and cleaning up after our children, then we're at our full-time jobs grinding away trying to pay the bills.
Where is the “me” time?
When do I get time for my hobbies and interests?
That's what I'm exploring today with my special guest, Mark Bovair.
Mark is a single father of 3 who hails from the great state of Michigan (like me). Personally, I really enjoy his conversations and perspective around fatherhood, balancing work with a pursuit of your passions and discovering who you really are.
What are we covering?
Mark and I discuss:
- Finding purpose in the daily grind
- Why having your own interests and hobbies is good for your children
- How minimalism can aid in reducing your stress
This is just two 30-something guys chatting about parenthood, work and the general meaning of life … you know, no big deal.
Join us as we navigate the murky waters of being a young parent and make some revelations that help us both.
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON ABOVE OR LISTEN ON:
About Our Guest: Mark Bovair
Since Mark went to school for finance, he has had a lifelong interest in helping others get their money right. His personal finance journey has seen him escape the grips of debt twice.
Mark is an accountant by day and a personal finance coach in his free time. He's also a father to 3 kids and a very average golfer.
Money Master of the Week
Jess and Josh Boyce from Florida paid off $147,000 of debt in just 3 years!
I discovered Jess and Josh’s story as I was scrolling through Twitter the other day … Here are the high-level details of their big victory:
- They racked up $147,000 in student loans, car debt, bedroom furniture loans and credit card debt
- Figuring everyone just sort of lived with massive debt, they let it fester for a while until they met a couple that had retired early.
- They were so inspired by this financially independent couple … they wanted in!
- The debt pay down started right away in 2015
- With their combined $95,000 income, they started tracking their income and expenses with a zero-based budget, started living below their means and slowly but surely they chipped away at the debt each month.
- Three years later in May of 2018 … they became DEBT FREE!
This is how it’s done, my friends! When you clean up your debt, you feel free and ready to take on any challenge.
Now, these two are all excited about pursuing financial independence. Talk about true freedom!
If you want to learn more about Jess and Josh, check out their feature in Time from this past week.
Jess and Josh are our Money Masters of the Week!
- First name
- Your recent big win
- How you did it
- Your plans for the future
Your story will inspire others to save more, make more and plan for their family’s future.
SHOW SPONSOR: BLOOOM
GET ONE FREE MONTH OF BLOOOM – Make sure to enter promo code “MKM” for your free month and to support this show
SHOW SPONSOR: TILLER
30-Day FREE Trial – Control your money and support this show.
Mark Bovair’S RESOURCES
Recommended Podcast: The Minimalists
Recommended Blog: Mr. Money Mustache
Recommended Book: Skin in the Game by Nassim Taleb
MKM PODCAST RESOURCES
Young Family Wealth Playbook (FREE): 7-Steps to Solidifying Your Family’s Future Wealth
Support this Show
If you enjoyed this podcast episode, here are some excellent ways to support the show:
- Leave a review for the show on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher
- Leave a comment below
- Check out my Recommended Resources Page
- Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, Google Podcasts or Stitcher
- Join our Thriving Families Facebook Community – learn and help other families grow their wealth
I truly appreciate the support everyone!
I’d love to hear from you!
If you’d like your question featured on the show, reach out and let me know. It would be my honor to support you in your journey toward financial freedom.