We graduate from college and we get our first job. After the new career happy feelings fade, it’s not uncommon for us to think … “how long do I need to keep doing this?”
For my parent's generation, it was until your 60’s or 70’s. Then you can stop and enjoy retirement. But a 40 or 50-year career when you’re not overly thrilled with each of your days sounds more like a prison sentence than a fulfilling career.
For those looking for another way, how about a 15-year career instead? And then you slow down and enjoy more life in your 30s or 40s instead.
To make the case for the 15-year career, I’ve invited Kiersten and Julien Saunders to the show. They are the authors of the new book “Cashing Out: Win the Wealth Game by Walking Away.”
We also discuss how people can pursue FIRE (financial independence / retire early) and live a life of purpose.
Overview: Work 15 Years, Then FIRE Yourself
Kiersten and Julien Saunders review the following:
- Why a 15-year career beats out a 40-year career
- How to financially prepare to cash out from your corporate career
- The three areas where they invested to achieve family financial independence
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON:
Guest Bio – Kiersten and Julien Saunders
Julien and Kiersten are authors of Cashing Out: Win the Wealth Game By Walking Away under Portfolio Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. They are also the creative voices behind the blog richandregular.com, producers of the award-winning video series, Money on the Table, and hosts of the rich & REGULAR podcast.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, their mission is to inspire better conversations about money. The couple has used frugal living, real estate, stock market investing and their online business to build wealth and ultimately achieve financial independence. They paid off $200,000 in five years and their story has been featured in The NY Times, Forbes, CBS This Morning, Marketwatch, the Oprah Winfrey Network and more.
When they're not sharing stories about their experiences with money, they are parents to their son Beau, traveling the world or searching for their next great meal.
Website: Rich and Regular
Book: Cashing Out
Sponsors and Recommended Tools:
Personal Capital: Get access to FREE financial tools that help you invest more efficiently and build wealth for your family.
MKM Podcast Resources:
- MKM Newsletter: Join our bi-weekly newsletter for the latest MKM content, meetups and more. Get our free video guide on how we paid off our mortgage in less than 5 years as a gift for joining.
- Thriving Families Facebook Group: Join our new FREE Facebook Community!
- MKM Coaching: Looking for someone to walk alongside you on your financial independence journey? Grab your free 15-minute consultation today.
- Corporate Financial Wellness Presentation: Contact me to discuss how I can support your company's overall financial wellness.
- Recommended Resources: You won’t reach your financial goals without the right tools. Here are my suggestions!
Carpe Diem Quote:
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer.”Harriet Tubman
Are you thinking about cashing out after a 15-year career? What do you think of the advice from Kiersten and Julien Saunders?
Please let us know in the comments below.