If you're raising a teenager and looking at the cost of higher education, you may be asking yourself … is college worth it?
Dan Sheeks, Author of First to a Million: A Teenager's Guide to Achieving Early Financial Independence, shares how parents and teens can make the decision to go to college or not.
Dan Sheeks and I review the following:
- If college is worth it if you're going to take out student loans
- Options for parents if their teen doesn't know what they want to study
- Why there are so many other options to consider (scholarships, gap year, etc)
With the cost of college, this decision can turn into a 6-figure, multi-decade dilemma. It's important to do your research and make sure it's the right path for your family. Dan Sheeks' perspective as a high school teacher and financial independence advocate will help you with this big parental decision.
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON:
Guest Bio – Dan Sheeks
Dan Sheeks is the owner and founder of SheeksFreaks LLC, an online community to help young people live their best lives by making smart money decisions. He has been a high school business teacher in Denver, CO for eighteen years, and he’s passionate about teaching teenagers personal finance, passive income, real estate investing, and early financial freedom strategies so they can live their best lives.
Dan and his wife own fifteen units using a variety of rental property investing techniques—including multifamily, short-term rentals, and the BRRRR strategy—and in his free time, Dan likes to run, bike, cross-country ski, and attend bluegrass music festivals.
Resources – Dan Sheeks
- Website: SheeksFreaks.com
- Social: Instagram
- Book: First to a Million by Dan Sheeks
Other Content You Might Like
- Is College Worth It? (Bread & Wine)
- 529 College Savings Plan: Why Parents Need One
- Kristina Ellis: How I Earned $500k in College Scholarships
Sponsors and Recommended Tools
M1 Finance: Get started investing today for FREE!
Tello: Our family's mobile plan provider! Check out their limited-time offer to get 50% off your phone plan (use code “MKM50”).
MKM Podcast Resources
- MKM Newsletter: Join our bi-weekly newsletter for the latest MKM content, meetups and more. Get our free video guide on how we paid off our mortgage in less than 5 years as a gift for joining.
- Thriving Families Facebook Group: Join our new FREE Facebook Community!
- MKM Coaching: Looking for someone to walk alongside you on your financial independence journey? Grab your free 15-minute consultation today.
- Corporate Financial Wellness Presentation: Contact me to discuss how I can support your company's overall financial wellness.
- Recommended Resources: You won’t reach your financial goals without the right tools. Here are my suggestions!
Carpe Diem Quote
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.“― Thomas Edison
Do you think college is worth it? What do you think of the advice from Dan Sheeks?
Please let me know in the comments below.
Leave a Reply