On any given day, there are around 438,000 children in foster care in the USA. Almost a half million kids without a forever home…
That is a major issue in our country and some parents are taking action to help.
Today, we’re chatting with Jillian Johnsrud on why she and her husband decided to become foster parents to 4 children in addition to becoming parents to two biological kids. We’re also going to discuss how she and her husband embraced minimalism and achieved financial independence in their 30's.
What are we covering?
Jillian and I discuss:
- Why she decided to become a foster parent
- The financial ramifications to raising 6 kids (4 foster and 2 biological)
- How she became financially independent in her 30's
Jillian writes at the popular Montana Money Adventures blog and her story of family financial independence has been featured in Business Insider, MarketWatch and on multiple highly rated podcasts.
And I’m thrilled to have her on THIS podcast!
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON ABOVE OR LISTEN ON:
About Our Guest: Jillian Johnsrud
After starting with $55,000 in debt, Jillian became financially independent at 32. She and her husband have adopted 4 kids, had two biological, lived abroad and traveled to 27 countries and paid cash for their first home.
They live in Montana by Glacier National Park where they hike on the weekends. She's a writer, mentor, speaker and drinker of hot tea.
Money Master of the Week
My 4-year old son Calvin had a huge win last week.
Calvin saved up $8 from doing his chores over the past few months and he donated it to SAY Detroit – a charity that helps the Neediest in Detroit. He said he wanted to help “kids eat food and give people roofs”. SAY Detroit does just that …
After Calvin made his donation, he received a letter of thanks from the founder of SAY Detroit… the best-selling author and Detroit Free Press Columnist, Mitch Albom!
I’m so proud of my boy. He’s learning the importance of generosity and giving back. And I’m learning a lot too and getting inspired to increase my charitable giving.
Calvin is our Money Master of the Week!
Share Your Wins
- First name
- Your recent big win
- How you did it
- If/How you celebrated
- Your financial plans for the future
Your story will inspire others to save more, make more and plan for their family’s future.
SHOW SPONSOR: TILLER
30-Day FREE Trial – Control your money and support this show.
Jillian Johnsrud’s RESOURCES
Foster Care Resource: AdoptUSKids.org
New Movie about Foster Care: Instant Family
MKM PODCAST RESOURCES
#BigTipTuesday is here!
I’m creating a fun way for the Marriage, Kids and Money Community to Give Back this holiday season.
I’m calling it “Big Tip Tuesday” …
Here’s how it goes:
- Choose a random Tuesday during November or December
- Go to a place where someone in the service industry is working during the holidays to make money for the holidays or simply make ends meet. For example, you could go to a diner in a working-class neighborhood, a coffee shop or even your local sandwich shop.
- Buy something for yourself and leave a VERY generous tip. The size of that tip is up to you. You decide what “generous” means. Similar to the giving challenge last year, Nicole and I are going to give $100 twice. One of the $100 has been donated by Rockstar Finance and the other $100 will be from the Hill Family.
- If you get a receipt, write on the receipt #BigTipTuesday and leave them a note of gratitude for their service and wish them a happy holiday
- Share the receipt on social media with the hashtag #BigTipTuesday and contact me (voicemail or email) to tell me how it went!
I would love for our community to surprise 10 hard working people in the service industry with $100. That would be $1,000 of joy spread to those who are working hard during the holidays.
So, what do you think? Are you in?
Please email me and let me know. Giving is SO much fun. Think about the smile you’ll bring to someone’s face who is not expecting it.
THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING IT!
Young Family Wealth Playbook (FREE): 7-Steps to Solidifying Your Family’s Future Wealth
Support this Show
If you enjoyed this podcast episode, here are some excellent ways to support the show:
- Leave a review for the show on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher
- Leave a comment below
- Check out my Recommended Resources Page
- Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, Google Podcasts or Stitcher
- Join our Thriving Families Facebook Community – learn and help other families grow their wealth
I truly appreciate the support everyone!
I’d love to hear from you!
If you’d like your question featured on the show, reach out and let me know. It would be my honor to support you in your journey toward financial freedom.
Carpe Diem Quote
“When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.”
— Maya Angelou
Do you think you could be a foster parent?
Are you pursuing financial independence?
Please let me know in the comments below.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST TODAY: